I've been hearing on the news that people who use Facebook are less happy. They look at people living lives that 'better' or 'happier' than theirs, which leaves them feeling dissatisfied.
I, for one, can attest to that. I look at friends that I grew up with and see them living exotic, exciting lives, worthy of lots of Instagram photos. I find that as I get ready for bed I am tempted to spend time looking at their travel pictures, reading blips about their accomplishments and successes; which does leave me feeling somewhat dissatisfied with my 'normal' life. But, as I got into bed this evening, a thought came to me: I am living that sort of life that they're living! I just chose to live it in a different way.
It seems that part of my jealousy lies in the idea that these people are embracing life and living outside of the box. They are traveling across the world, living in boats and VW Buses, going to school and then teaching at a University somewhere. They all have successfully escaped the snare of the cubicle. Their time is their own. They have no one to answer to. It sounds like freedom - the dream of every modern college graduate!
When I look at my life it's easy to see the not-so-glamorous parts of it: poopy diapers, being crawled over all day by my toddler, keeping house, doing office work. But when I change my state of mind, I see it as glamorous and as free as the lives of any of my old aquaintances. I have the ability to take off on a dime to road-trip with my husband and baby, or spend a full week with my Mom when she flies down to be with us. When family or friends come over, they get my full time and attention. I choose when I eat, pray, sleep, and play, with minimal obligations and responsibilities. My life is an open book, to make what I want it to be.
And to top it all off, while my friends are exploring new lands and tasting new foods, I'm loving and taking care of a little boy that is in this world because Matt and I said "yes".
I know my life won't always be this way, but neither will theirs.
Thanks be to God for His blessings on us and for a husband that works hard to allow us to live the life we desire to live!
No comments:
Post a Comment