Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Favorites



Joining the link-up with my current Five Faves.



1. Plain cereal with sugar on top.  I know it defeats the whole purpose of healthy cheerios by adding sugar to it, but I accidentally picked them up while grocery shopping a couple of weeks ago, and since then they've been sitting on our counter uneaten.  The only way to not waste my money = sugar!  Now I love them.

They also remind me of Matt's childhood.   He has stories of when his mom would by sugar-less cereal and the kids would pile the sugar on, in order to make them palatable.  I, not being 1 of 8, didn't have that experience growing up - Travis and I got cinnamon toast crunch and frosted mini wheats for breakfast, lucky kids that we were.  But now I can say I'm in solidarity with my husband's past self.  And it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.


2. Grocery Outlet.  Or Aldi's, if you want.  Basically any place I get my groceries on the cheap.  Our recent financial situation has necessitated our shopping at these places instead of our regular grocery stores for most items.  If we were living back in my home town, where there is no discount grocery store, we'd be eating top ramen and frozen peas.  But here we can basically eat anything we would have eaten before, but for a much less expensive price.  I think that's even better!  Living frugally certainly has its benefits.

3. Gift certificates.  It is seriously the best day when you and your husband can take your little brother out for dinner and beer and only have to pay $15 because of those magic little money cards!



4. My baby's haircut.  Max was starting to get mistaken for a girl.  No good.  My husband, in his wisdom, warned me a week before he did the deed so that I could get my mind wrapped around the idea that my BABY is growing up and not really a baby anymore.  Tears were shed, existential questions about life were asked, and eventually I was on board.  He really doesn't look all that different.  And maybe it'll keep some of the old ladies away who used to come up and comment on his curls.



5. Faux Thai Ice Tea.  The best Thai restaurant outside of Thailand is in my hometown and they happen to have the best Thai ice tea.  It's filled to the brim with tea, sugar, and heavy cream - so many calories, but so worth it!  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good replacement for it where we live...until now.  And the best part is that I can make it in my own home!  All you do is:

1. Brew some strong earl grey tea and chill it.
2. Add 'sweet cream' creamer to it.

It's really that easy and really that tasty.  Even Matt liked it!  I'm going to have to start doing this more often, as my former BFF, coffee, is starting to be my worst enemy.  Saddest day - but at least I have a good replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment