It's been more than two years since the birth of Max, and I'm finally sitting down to write down his birth story. I hope I can remember everything, though I'm sure I'll be adding anecdotes in the future as I remember them.
I'll just jump into it!
Leading up to Max's birth, we knew that he was breech and I was trying everything that I could to get him to turn around. Every once in a while I thought that he had, but we found out about his being breech so late in the pregnancy that he didn't have much room to move around. We did an external version (our poor boy went into distress for a little bit, causing quite a scare for me. Plus, it hurt!), I got a door and lay upside down on it for long periods of time, went to the chiropractor, and I even tried putting cold things on top of my belly in hopes that he'd turn to get away from it. Nothing worked. But, I still had hope that he would eventually turn the right way. My neighbor had a baby who flipped as she went into labor with her son...why couldn't that happen with Max and I?
Waiting for him to turn did cause some stress, especially as his due date approached. Our lovely midwife didn't offer us much advice, wanting us to make the decision as to what was best for us. I didn't want to schedule a c-section and wanted to wait as long as I could, in hopes to go into labor naturally. But, my mom had purchased her plane tickets already and had a small window of time that she would be in town. If I went too far past my due date, she wouldn't be able to stay to see our new boy! These choices were constantly in my head, and being the fickle, indecisive woman that I am, I had a hard time making any definite decisions.
This was my mindset as Matt and I left to go on a Sunday afternoon drive. I was 40 weeks and 6 days pregnant with no plan of action. We had a book we had been reading (the first book in The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind) and we both had a desire to get out of town in order to get our minds off things and to explore the greater area that we live in. That morning we went to his nephew Marcus' First Holy Eucharist and Confirmation (Matt was his sponsor) and the rest of the day was free.
| After Mass |
The drive was really lovely - the weather was perfect, the views were breathtaking and beautiful. It was so nice. On the trek back we started talking about our birth plan, as this was the week we would have to make a decision on what to do. I brought up all my concerns, the pros and cons of both sides (as I'm like to do), and Matt patiently discussed them with me. By the end of the trip, as the sun was setting, we had decided that I would call our midwife in the morning to schedule a c-section for the middle or end of the week. We wanted to give a little bit of wiggle room, in case Max wanted to come himself, but we both felt that scheduling a c-section would be best, so that my mom could be there for the birth. I felt so at peace with our plan. It all seemed like the right thing to do, and I was able to let go of the little bit of guilt that I had with accepting a c-section as a possibility...
| Looking huge. |
An aside: For the most part I had no strong conviction against having a c-section, especially since that was all I knew growing up, as Travis and I were both c-section babies. But the people around us made it seem like c-section was such a big deal. I had wanted a natural birth and was a little disappointed that I wouldn't be getting that, but it seemed that the people around me felt worse about it for me than I did. Because of that, I felt like I had to do everything in my power to get Max to flip around. Without that outside pressure, I probably would have been less concerned about it, and Max might have had an earlier birthday. Social pressure affects me so much! Looking back, I'm so glad things happened the way that they did, but I also see how external pressure affected my decisions.
| Little did we know that we'd be meeting our boy soon |
By the time we got home it was about 8 pm. The feeling of peace and acceptance did me a lot of good - it was what needed to happen in order for my body to relax enough to begin labor. It seemed like the moment I walked through the door to our apartment I started having a contraction. I had been having braxton-hicks for several weeks and was already 2cm dilated, but they were never really painful. What I felt then wasn't that painful either, but it was enough to notice, so I made a mental note to keep track of them. We settled in for the night and turned on the TV while Matt turned on that infamous game, League of Legends. Watching something on the TV was good for me, because it helped the time go by. As it did, I noticed that I was still having regular contractions. They were only a little uncomfortable still, but they came fairly quickly after one another, less than 10 minutes apart (my mind is telling me 5, but I don't remember for sure). After about an hour of keeping track I told Matt about them, which got him incredibly excited. He poured himself a drink - could this be the night?!
I reflected that my midwife and I didn't really have a game plan if I was to go into labor naturally. How long was I supposed to labor at home before I went to the hospital? I would have stayed at home a lot longer if I knew that Max had flipped, but as far as I knew he hadn't. I get a little hazy around here. I believe I called labor and delivery around 9 and explained to them what was going on. The nurse told me to keep on monitoring my contractions and that I should call back after I had been having regular contractions for a couple of hours. I think I called again around 10, at which point they instructed me to take a shower and come in if the contractions were still regular afterwards. After getting off the phone the second time I immediately called my mom, who was 2 hours away visiting with a friend. I felt bad that I was pulling her away, especially if this turned out to be a false alarm, but I didn't want to chance her missing the birth, nor did she. I explained to her what the plan was and what had been going on and she immediately got in the car to make the 2 hour trip to us.
After getting off the phone I jumped into the shower, praying that the contractions stayed. They had been slowing down a little bit when I was on the phone and I was afraid that the shower would slow them down even more. I hadn't had any false labors before this, like many other women, so I was preparing myself for the worse. Thankfully, after the shower was done they continued to be about 5-7 minutes apart. At about 11pm I made the decision to go to the hospital. I informed Matt that we should get going and started to pack my hospital bag. As I was packing I started to question whether or not I should really go in, but as I was walking down the hall with bag packed, my next contraction hurt. Almost instantly they went from 1-2 on the pain scale to a 4 or 5. This confirmed my decision to go, and I started walking around the house impatiently waiting for Matthew to get off his dang computer! He was in the middle of a game that requires about 45 minutes of committed playing time and was almost done, but couldn't just stop, at least that's what he told me. After getting the house tidied up, the dog put on the porch, and a couple more painful contractions I became much more blunt and told him that we needed to go - NOW. Thankfully he got the message, closed his computer, and got ready. He realized how hungry he was (we hadn't eaten since the early afternoon) and asked if we could get a burger before going to the hospital. I agreed, and we were off.
It was a dark and stormy night...It really was! The wind began to blow and we spotted lightening in the distance as we got into the car. It was an ominous, exciting way to leave to go to the hospital - the universe knew something big was going to happen that night. We stopped by his parent's house, a block away from us, and let Matt's mom know that we were going to the hospital (she had plans to join us). As we left I had a contraction in the car, which was even more painful than they were at home and much less manageable. I could not sit in the car for an extra 10 minutes while we got food - I informed Matt and we made a b-line for the hospital.




